Speak with us:+9779861218997

Gems Group Services

Admission in Japanese Schools

The main conditions to be admitted to a Japanese language school are to be at least 18 years old and have graduated from high school (having completed at least 12 years of school education including elementary school).

Level equivalent to JLPT N5, or 150 hours of Japanese language course)

Academic background (with a higher education degree, one may not need any Japanese language skills)

In any case, we recommend you to take a Japanese language course and complete at least the JLPT N5 level (which is the first level of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test).

  • For daily life
  • To get a part-time job faster
  • To reach proficiency faster (and thus possibly save money)

Entrance and applying

Entrance season Education period Application period
April 1 year or 2 years August – November
July 1 year 9 months January – March
October 1 year 6 months March – May
January 1 year 3 months June – September

Necessary documents

  • Application forms (provided by school)
  • 5 x ID pictures (4cm×3cm) (that number will vary from school to school)
  • Passport copy
  • Diploma or certification of highest degree
  • Certification of Japanese ability, if applicable: for example JLPT, TOP-J, NAT.
  • An essay explaining the plans

And documents about the sponsor:

  • Bank statement (The balance of bank saving account need more than 1,600,000yen. For the past 1 year’s record at least)
  • The job certificate (Employment certificate of the person who pays money)
  • Tax certificate (Annual income must be written. Otherwise need to submit the documents which monthly salary or yearly income is written)
  • Certificate of relationship between you and the sponsor

Application Process

1. Getting school admission

Please choose the school and fill out our application form. Within one business day we will get back to you to confirm whether you are admissible in the school you chose.

2. Getting a Certificate of Eligibility for a Status of Residence

Certificate of Eligibility for a Status of Residence to apply for a Visa. The application is submitted to a Regional Immigration Bureau in Japan. Once you have receive the Certificate, you can apply for a Visa.

3. Getting a visa

With a valid passport and the Certificate of Eligibility, you will be able to apply to get a visa from the Japanese Embassy or Consulate. The Japanese immigration bureaus conduct very strict verification of the background and the information you have provided. This is why it is crucial to prepare the application with the utmost thoroughness. The conditions of admission in Japanese schools are not so drastic. But the process can be overwhelming.


Scholarships to Study in Japan

Most scholarships are intended for international students studying at universities or colleges in Japan. Keep in mind that they won’t be sufficient to support the whole expenses. They will only cover part of the expenses. Scholarships applied from overseas: For scholarships from the Japanese government Monbukagakusho MEXT) you need to contact the Japanese embassy or consulate in the country or the institute of higher education in which you wish to apply. Scholarships applied in Japan after arrival: Please check with the institute on scholarships and tuition fees exemption or waiver offered by the school. Ask us if you have any questions.

Information and list of scholarship bodies offering scholarships:
http://www.jasso.go.jp/study_j/scholarships.html (in Japanese)


Arubaito a good alternative to scholarships to study in Japan

Before you start budgeting the studies in Japan, please note that foreign students holding a student visa are allowed to work up to 28 hours per week. About 75% of eligible students choose to work part-time arbaito. There are many opportunities so it will really be up to you. If you decide to work, the salary will likely cover the monthly expenses. It will enable you to go out more, meet people and perhaps build networks too. The  life in Japan will be all the more enjoyable. Last but not least, you will feel an even higher level self-esteem. You will feel empowered. Therefore, keep in mind that working part-time is a good alternative. Getting a scholarship is uncertain. Getting a job is within everybody’s reach and brings lots of intangible benefits.

Accommodations in Japan

To choose the right accommodations, we or the school will help the students – some schools provide solutions, others don’t offer any options at all. We usually recommend that students wait until they are in Japan to choose their place. Pictures on the internet may not give an accurate view of what’s awaiting them. One needs to know the surroundings to understand that students may be anxious to arrange everything before they arrive. In this case, it is preferable that they do not commit to a long-term lease, in case they don’t like their place or in case they simply find a better option or need to move out. If students can wait until they come to Japan, they first need to arrange a temporary stay for a few days (and avoid to spend more than a couple of days in a capsule hotel though – it is fun at the beginning but quickly becomes uncomfortable). Youth hostels, weekly apartments, guest or share houses: solutions are plenty, for all budgets. Then the school’s student office might be able to help them find a place or get them in touch with a real estate agent who can look for a place in the area of their choice.

Japanese Health Insurance

If you plan to study in Japan for more than 3 months, you need to go to the local ward or city office and get the Japanese Health Insurance there. In order to do this, simply show the Residence card and passport, and fill out the forms. Medical expenses can be costly. Therefore, subscribing to the National Health Insurance is mandatory. The insurance premium has to be paid monthly or yearly once registration is completed. The premium varies depending on location and income. In most cases, the premium is about JPY 20,000 per year for foreign students in Japan. Once registered with the National Health Insurance, you will only need to pay 30% of the medical bills. Once you’ve registered, you will receive an insurance card. It will be renewed every year and a new card will be sent to the address. You do not need to do anything unless you have moved and need to inform the local ward of the change of address. As the insurance does not cover all medical expenses, for added peace of mind, you may subscribe to a private insurance. Most students, though, subscribe to the National Health Insurance only.



GEMS Group Services